Monday, June 20, 2011

On Classical Music & Opera

Shime,

I have to come out of the closet! (c'mon not the kind that jumped to your mind). Here and now I declare I am no material for Puccini, Sebastian Bach, Ludwig Beethoven and their likes. What do I have in common with these ancient creatures who cast their most wicked spell since the 1700 and continue to do so to a fast shrinking fan base? You can't say I didn't try to appreciate classical music since forty-plus years is no cheap-change to learn something.

You want to talk about Opera too? OK, lets talk about Opera. Here also I'll be straight with you - I am no great fan of this thing called Opera for good reason. What language do they speak? Probably Italian, German, Latin or something else. When was the last time you saw me speaking in those tongues? Now don't hasten to accuse me for not having tried to understand Opera either. I invested countless hours listening to opera renditions at home, in the car, during flights and everywhere else, always being hard on myself for missing something others seemingly have. I even had the unthinkable opportunity of getting an Orchestra Seat for the opening night of "Turnedo" at the great La-Scala in Milano, courtesy of the President of Milano's Chamber of commerce, whom I visited with a delegation of Addis Chamber members the previous day. By the way, Princess Diana and hubby were in the house for their first visit to Milano shortly after their marriage. I remember the initial exhubdrance sorrounding their visit. I also remember how the whole of Italy felt insulted that night when D showed up at La-Scala, in Milano, the fashion capital of the world, wearing pink dress by a certain British designer. No other living Habesha could claim giving Opera a chance at this level. After all the hoopla that night,I had no clue what Tornado was all about and felt guilty for wasting my time and a scarce ticket. Musicals? ehh..

What triggered this outpouring of confession is a golf outing last week with Kefe and an encounter yesterday with a "classical music lover" who happens to be my next door office mate.

Golf, as you know is a hallowed manly ground where you talk and laugh to your heart's delight, preferably with cigar and beer in hand. You leave your worries behind, shed your guard and even talk dirty if that is what you want to do. That day, the dude, do you believe it, started to play Puccini on a Pandora station - on the golf course! That, my friend, was the last straw! I promised myself I will not live a life of pretension duping people that I dig classical music and opera. If I have to do it at the risk of ruining my reputation as an affluent individual and being removed from the wills of Kefe and Ab,so be it.

There you have it, I feel relieved. Now play me Astuye's "Checheho", a Marvin Gay, a Sam Cook ... and you are my friend.

Cheers!

No comments: